We are proud to announce that our very own PIBBA International Treasurer, Jovita Maratita "Jovie" Taimanao, won a senate seat in the CNMI Election held November 7, 2009! Senator Taimanao ran as an Independent in the First Senatorial District of Rota. She serves as the Legislative Secretary of the 17th Northern Marianas Commonwealth Legislature and is the Chair of the Fiscal Affairs Committee.
Taimanao provided the following Mission Statement, which is posted on the Northern Marianas Commonwealth Legislature website:
"The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands needs legislators to restore the integrity and honesty of government, a positive living environment, and a caring community. Our People have given me a sacred trust to work for our islands’ families, grandparents and grandchildren. I will respect the wisdom of those before and the future of those to follow. I will discharge this trust through legislative policy, constituent services and the way we treat each other, guided by principles of CHANGE:
· Doing what is fair, honest, transparent, and in the best interest of the people.
· Restoring public trust in our government.
· Promoting revenue increase through local business and outside investments.
· Preserving our culture and language.
· Fostering good work ethic and communications between our islands’ public officials.
· Exploring innovative and new measures to secure quality education, healthcare, and public safety.
In all that I do, my purpose will be to allow the family to be strengthened by keeping more of what they earn, assuring jobs and their future with sound financial policies; restoring common sense to law and regulation; and, to promote decision-making at the level closest to the people-our communities, districts and most importantly our homes."
We are very proud of Senator Taimanao, and we are confident that she will uphold her mission and further promote the goals of the Pacific Islands Bilingual Bicultural Association! BIBA PIBBA!