Friday, June 28, 2013
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Håfa Adai PIBBA Family:
As you are gearing up to come to Guam for our 32nd Annual PIBBA International Conference, please be notified of the following matters:
1. EVERYONE will be participating in the float and march at the 69th Annual Liberation Day parade along Marine Drive.
2. Everyone must report to Adelup, our meeting place, by 7am, Sunday morning, July 21, 2013.
3. Each country, through the president of the respective chapters must bring state or country flags (3feet by 5 feet, or 4 feet by 6 feet) that will be fastened on to flag poles and will lead your respective chapters in the marching unit before our float.
4. Our theme for the Liberation Day Parade is STORIES OF FAITH AND COURAGE. For the theme, we have decided that each PIBBA family chapters from the islands must choose one famous or well-known legend/story and it must be depicted on top of the float in costume and characterization. Each country may have up to two (2) individuals to portray this particular feature. So, whomever is the designee, please prepare by bringing your costumes and a short write-up of what the legend or story is about. Each president must e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org the name of the legend and the name of the person/people who will portray these characters.
5. Please designate a member to carry the state/country flag and another member to carry the PIBBA flag that will be provided for each PIBBA chapter. Again, from the presidents, I need to have these names.
6. Please wear a plain white t-shirt to wear underneath the PIBBA t-shirt that will be provided for you. Each person will also be provided a PIBBA umbrella. It is recommended that good, comfortable walking shoes and good, comfortable clothing be worn. Dresses and thick or jean slacks will be extremely hot on the mile and a half parade route. Likewise with slippers, yore' and high heels are not recommended. Bring sun screen, too. Elderly members will be riding on the float. Drinking water will be provided along the parade route.
7. Do not forget silent auction items to be a part of the conference proceedings.
8. Bring your cameras as there'll be lots of picture taking.
9. Each president is encouraged to bring along a state gift to present to officers and other dignitaries. We recommend about fifteen items each but this is at your discretion.
10. For anyone wishing to be nominated to run for PIBBA International officer, please be present at all the general assemblies at the conference.
Please be posted to the PIBBA website for additional directives from me or the other officers.
si peter r. onedera
PIBBA International President
The PIBBA, Guam Chapter is sponsoring a fundraiser at the Guam Raceway Park in Yigo on Saturday, June 22, 2013. The proceeds of the DRAG 4 Cultures and Languages fundraiser will go towards the expenses of the 32nd Annual Pacific Islands Bilingual Bicultural Association International Conference to be held on July 21-24, 2013 on Guam for educators, particularly indigenous and heritage language educators in the region. The entrance fee is $5 per car and $2 for each spectator. Walkers are $2. Racers pay $2 per race or $10 for unlimited number of races. Gates open 7 p.m., and racing starts at 8:30 p.m. Refreshments will also be sold. Please come and help us raise funds and have a lot of fun! Si Yu’os Ma’åse’!